Wednesday, January 21, 2009

A Bamboo Life: Kitchen Garden in the City

Continuing the theme of " Bamboo Life" as in having a closer-to-Earth organic life, I am pleased to let you know that for years ( 14 to be precise), I have had a terrace garden - nothing fancy but just pots in which I have grown flowers and vegetables. More vegetables because I like the idea of growing my own food, using organic fertilizers ( cow manure and vermicompost). Watching the tiny flowers metamorphose into flavourful little tomatoes is wonderful. As I brush past the mint and the basil, they release their wonderful fragrance. Beans, onions, brocolli - they all share the sun in my garden. I use a lot of bamboo - to stake up the tomatoes , as a railing all along the terrace ( cheap and beautiful- not cold metal ) . Some pictures of my terrace garden - cheers to the Bamboo Life !

Notice the green bamboo railings above - they have lasted for years under the Delhi sun - just needs a coat of paint once in two years.



the heirloom tomatoes are heavy - the bamboo stakes are handy !




No comments: